Color me unimpressed. Everything I read about this movie said it was "groundbreaking" and "original" and other gushing reviews. There was nothing groundbreaking about it.
- Evil Corporation run by old white men willing to kill whoever they need to for money and power. WOW, I'VE NEVER FUCKING SEEN THAT BEFORE. EVER. YOU ARE THE FIRST MOVIE TO SUGGEST OLD WHITE MEN WITH BRITISH ACCENTS COULD BE EVIL ON SCREEN.
- Corporation/Government who wants to exploit/dissect/capture aliens to experiment on them or steal their weapon technology. Nope, never fucking seen that either. Totally original. E.T.??? never heard of that movie.
- Crazy/ruthless African warlord. No fucking way.... those guys have always been portrayed as well-mannered gentlemen in movies.
- White mercenary who loves killing black people... I mean minorities... I mean aliens. gosh, don't know how I got that mixed up.
- Super-smart child saves the day. HOLY SHIT, how does this movie keep throwing these totally original concepts at us???? Before I saw this movie I never would have believed a child could save the day.
Don't get me wrong, the movie was good. Not great. Certainly not the best of the year. Not even close to the best sci-fi movie. But it was good. The end was action-packed and cool. I just fail to see where all this praise is coming from.