This is the first time i've written about it since i left the old rantville and i don't even really talk about it much anymore. last season left a really bad taste in my mouth. i was fine with Stewart winning, i like the guy, it was just the media coverage and NASCAR's shady behavior where rules and punishments are concerned that drove me away. so on to a few observations.
- i'm not alone in my attitude toward how NASCAR has been treating non-bandwagon fans. a friend of mine wrote and told me about something they read in a newspaper
"NASCAR's Tuesday night version of the old Winston Cup Preview, held for so many years in Winston-Salem with sellout crowds of 25,000, was again a disappointment, with perhaps only 500 people (at $15 a head) showing up for what is now billed as Fan Fest, next to the Daytona garage."
when people are ducking a fan fest in NORTH CAROLINA then you know you have a problem. selling NASCAR in NC should be a total freakin no-brainer. that's like holding a University of Texas rally here in San Antonio and getting a poor turnout. NASCAR not only needs to start noticing this shit but they need to do something about it. when the johnny-come-lately fans are gone you're going to need that Southern support to survive, and your current trend of peeing on them just make an extra buck isn't going to help you when times are tough.
- i read that Mark Martin is expected to have a busy year. in fact an even busier year than last year. ok so wait a sec, i thought he was retiring BECAUSE HE SAID HE WAS TOO BUSY!!!! so this is his answer? to get even BUSIER!?!?!? someone needs to explain this to me. either Mark is a complete and total pantywaist who got bullied into postponing retirement or he's a pants-on-fire level liar. i'm sorry but you don't plan retirement to slow your life down and then turn around and take on MORE work. if someone can explain i'd appreciate it.
- Jr. well, honestly i don't have much to say here. he's back with Eury, he seems to be happy, and i think we all just have to wait and see what happens.
- the car of the future. i've seen some pics online. it looks like shit. the future is looking crappier and crappier with each shitty decision France and Helton make. given their track record as of late, i'm surprised Kansas City is out of the running for the Hall of Fame. come on guys, throw an occasional kick to the head of the southern fans while you're busy stomping their nuts.
- Daytona. everything about testing and practice is all a total wank. having the fastest time means dick. it don't matter how fast you're going if you're in the danger zone when Jimmie Johnson decides to wreck someone. the only real indication we'll get on who's running well will be the Bud Shootout.
so anyway, we'll see how this season goes.